Monday, September 7, 2009

Modern Worship Music pt. 2

In the last post on Thoughts of a Christian on the topic of Worship Music, the song Above All was discussed. The song had some positive points, and some negative ones too. However, today's song, is to date the worst 'worship' song I have ever heard.

Title: The More I Seek You
Artist: Kari Jobe
Written by: Zach Neese
Record Label: Integrity Music
Theological Review Preformed by: N/A



Lyrics:

The more i seek you,
the more i find you
The more i find you, the more I love you

Chorus:I wanna sit at your feet
drink from the cup in your hand.
Lay back against you and breath, here your heart beat
This love is so deep, it's more than I can stand.
I melt in your peace, it's overwhelming
(Repeat from Beginning)

Chorus:4x

I think that there are several issues that can be addressed in this short song. When I look at a worship song, I am looking for something that can be both prayed in private and sung in a corporate setting. So when looking at this song my first, and possibly the most troublesome issue with this song, is that this song could be sung to any lover one could choose; man, women, God... really whomever you choose. The Object of this song is completely ambiguous, which has no historically grounds as valid within the Church. Secondly, this song is very very sexual in the nature of the lyrics. Given that the song is indeed about Jesus, I can't honestly say that I have any of these quasi sexual feelings about Jesus. I don't want to sit at his feet, or lay back against him and hear his heart beat. Third, speaking of Jesus in these amorous terms is, I believe, disrespectful to his Divinity. This is God we are talking about (to) here. Fourth, There is zero theological content. Any heretic could sing this without a flinch. It isn't edifying to the body. Finally, The last problem with this song is, in the words of Mark Driscoll, that it turns Jesus into my 'Bearded Girlfriend.'

I say we go back to quality, none-emotionally based worship music.

4 comments:

Jason said...

Apparently you can take any secular love song and remove the names so Christians will think it is about Jesus.

Didn't sonny and cher do a duet about Jesus?

Biff said...

I'm sorry Ken!
I went to beliefnet and looked around. Decided to leave before my brain exploded.

Heis said...

Made it through the chorus 1X and just threw up in my mouth a little.

Lucas H said...

I, too, have problems with this song.

As a man, I DO NOT have such feeling for Jesus. This song reminds me of harlequin romance books, with the desperate, lustful women reclining against the buff, well chiseled torso of a man with soft, flowing hair.

When I see Jesus, my first impulse, most likely, will be to bow at his feet, not lean back against Him and feel his heart beat.