Thursday, March 12, 2009

Modern Worship Music

Has anyone noticed the trend in modern "Worship" music, that it has been abandoning more and more the solid theological perspectives of the past, and instead become something that is highly emotional in nature? I have some strong criticisms of these song, some of which are very popular, and I also have some strong praise for songs that are going against the grain of this trend. When I am speaking about a song, I am in no way addressing the Artist who wrote the song, in terms of there theological views nor am I questioning there faith or confession. I am addressing the lyrics as prayer, and I am doing so from a theological perspective. Thus, my basic question will be: Does this song line up with the Word of God?

Admittedly, there are some songs that could be criticized, that I will not be addressing, at this point, but please feel free to give songs for review. It is my belief that Song Writers should for the Brothers Wesley in their model of reviewing perspective songs. Above all we must not forget that these songs are meant to be worship to the Most High God, and as such, we are in a sense praying with or via the lyrics. Our singing of these words is our stamp of approval. That Said the first song I will address is, Above All -- by Michael W. Smith.

Above all powers above all kings
Above all nature and all created things
Above all wisdom and all the ways of man
You were here before the world began

Above all kingdoms above all thrones
Above all wonders the world has ever known
Above all wealth and treasures of the earth
There's no way to measure what You're worth

Crucified laid behind a stone
You lived to die rejected and alone
Like a rose trampled on the ground
You took the fall and thought of me
Above all

This is a very popular song, that is sung in churches around the US. The problem with the song is that it is theologically inaccurate and in doing so, it exalts man above God. The song's structure is essentially one that lists all the things that Jesus is above, this is accurate. However, when the chorus comes, we get into trouble.

The phrase 'you took the fall and thought of me/ above all' is problematic for 2 reasons. First, there is no biblical evidence to believe or assert that Jesus Christ thought of you or me during the last part of his life. Second, to say that this unbiblical thinking of us was "above all" would by the textual usage of the term all in the song include the Father, and Holy Spirit, thus denying the Trinity, and committing blaspheme.

Some would say that I am being to critical here. However, it is clear that these songs teach theology, and people repeat these statements in churches all around the nation. Theological error begets other errors.

1 comment:

Jason said...

According to Time Magazine monergistic music is making a come back!

http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/article/0,28804,1884779_1884782_1884760,00.html