Sunday, March 22, 2009

Lecrae - Go Hard

Gentle tones

Go Hard
OR
Go Home

It Repeats

The hook ends with a sharp and shocking statement:

"Lord kill me If I don't preach the gospel"


I truly question that statement -- It makes me reflect -- Can I pray that same thing? Can You? I mean really think about the Power of that statement. Would you rather Die then not preach the Gospel? Would you have God take your life if you Aren't preaching the Gospel. Do we in our churches today have that kind of devotion and commitment to Christ and the Gospel.

However, the thoughts and meaning of this song only deepens from here.

If the Cross don't move me then I don't wanna breath no mo -- If I aint seeing Christ potna I dont wanna see no mo...

I often question how many of your average Church Goers would say that if they aren't moved by the cross or seeing Christ, they would prefer death. This seems to be such an anti-american, anti-self focused, Anti-Jesus came to serve me concept that I wonder if in the American Evangelical Church even a small percentage of people want this statement to apply to them. Yet it is the Message of Jesus, He is the Bread of Life, He is Living Water. Without Him we will die, and die for eternity, we do not want simply flour and water, we want that which truly gives life. I need, We need to learn to have our lives kept by and in Christ to the point where we would die without Him. For all you Joel Osteen Fans, I think that would be true "Kingdom Living."

Can they tell you value Jesus by the way you rep his name?

Lecrae asks the question that has been asked many times and in many ways both biblically and sermonically (is that a word?),

"Thank you for the Grace for the will and the desire/ got me living for your glory stead of living to retire/ But I pray I'll never tire of Going hard for Messiah/I don't need no motivation You the reason I'm inspired."

Why are we doing good works? Is it because we have been redeemed and want to show that same type of kindness that we were shown to others? Is it because we are trying to work our way into God's Favor? Are we Working to see the name of Jesus Christ Glorified?

The song ends with this powerful statement -

But don't play yourself to save ya self/and walk in fear/ Scripture's like a mirror/the truth is closer than it appears.

If you think your works can save you, you are dead and wrong. Repent Turn to Christ and walk in the Fear of the Lord. I love the illusion here to the Luther quote, that the law is a Mirror, a Curb and a Guide.

If you somehow think that Rap by nature is Wicked. You are missing the beauty of Christian Men who are exhorting us to good works and preaching the Gospel with there beats. Time to rethink what makes music Christian I say, because this never gets play of the 'Christian Radio' stations around here.

No comments: