Saturday, September 20, 2008

Pastor Fights Back: A news Story.

Girl blowing a kiss song from an increasingly popular singer is still stirring controversy as well as criticism for a pastor for openly objecting to the song.

Pastor Dave Allison of Havens Corners Church of Christ in Christian Union in Blacklick, Ohio, heard about Katy Perry's song I Kissed a Girl (and I Liked it) -- and he did not like it. As he explains, he became especially upset while he and his family arrived at a camping site.

"And as we went to check in there, there was a CNN story about how this song is literally changing behavior across America," Allison explains. "Young girls Pastor Dave Allisonare acting out on it, experimenting with kisses in public and those kinds of things."

Allison was then inspired to put a message on the church's sign reading "I Kissed a Girl and I Liked It. Then I went to Hell." He contends he was just trying to get across a message on the Bible's firm statement about homosexual conduct among men and women.

"[W]e're living in a liberal culture today, a relativistic culture. They don't read their Bibles the way people used to read their Bible," Allison adds. "And the liberal churches in America have done us a great injustice by muddying the water on the issue of sin when it comes to homosexuality."

He says he intended the sign as a loving warning to young people who might be taken in by the song.


I have to say that I really understand where this guy is coming from. Homosexuality is on the rise as is fornication, and I would submit that pop culture has a lot to do with it. Liberals in and out of the church want and fight to get us to water down the Christian message, and I, like this pastor am tried of it. I say that we should fight back, we should show that we oppose such behavior. We must teach the truth of Sin and Judgment to come.

That said, I think this billboard was a swing and a miss. I like that he stepped up and did SOMETHING, however, I think this loving attempt will be misunderstood. That said perhaps a good discussion on if understanding of people should effect the message, and how this message could have been changed to be more effective.

No comments: