Saturday, June 26, 2010

Ergun Caner, Liberty University and SBC Today

I have been following the Caner Saga since Dr. White first made mention of it. I have read, listened to and watched many hours of information from both sides on the issue. I have not commented up to this point, but now that Liberty University has released a formal statement, I will keep silent no longer.

I think that Dr. Caner has disgraced the Name of Christ Jesus our Lord. He clearly has sinned against man and God and I pray that he is seeking repentance.

I think that Liberty University has Moved in the right direction by Removing Dr. Caner as dean, however, it appears to me that when one makes " [...] factual statements that are self-contradictory [...]" and has " [...] discrepancies related to matters such as dates, names and places of residence [...]" on things as basic as where you were born, it seems that one is misrepresenting the truth for gain of some type (In my opinion, with no fact to back this up, it was for the credibility and respect it earned him, not to mention book sales, ect.).

I think that SBC today has made the Stupidest statement I have ever heard regarding a public scandal when it stated, " [...] we praise God that Dr. Caner is exonerated [...]" as it seems clear that he was not exonerated, rather that he was deposed as Dean, and has been shown to be a liar. Yes, I am aware that Dr. Caner, when discussing being called a liar, said the following:
Being called a “liar,” however, is a serious charge, especially when it is made by Christians. That would indicate that (1) the accusers can know the motives of the accused person’s heart, and (2) the accused person intentionally misled people.I have never intentionally misled anyone. I am sure I have made many mistakes in the pulpit in the past 20-plus years, and I am sure I will make some in the future. For those times where I misspoke, said it wrong, scrambled words, or was just outright confusing, I apologize and will strive to do better.
The issue here is, We all know where we were born, Dr. Caner and SBC today. I was born in Glendale, CA. I was not born anywhere else, however Dr. Caner has on recording said he was born in two different countries! Hello! That is not misspeaking, that is not scrambled words or confusing, it is lying!

I don't know anyone from sbc today and I am not a Southern Baptist, however, it seems to me that anyone who can make the statement they did, is blinded by some preconceived notion.

Finally, I do not rejoice in this blasphemy of our Lord. I hope and pray that Dr. Caner and all involved in this will come to their collective senses and repent to God Almighty.

1 comment:

The Navy Christian said...

I am a Liberty grad student, although no longer at the seminary. I changed programs this year. I had heard some discrepancies regarding Caner, and it was disconcerting, but I tried not to concern myself with it until I knew more. I'm glad Liberty has taken steps to rectify the issue.

Liberty is a good school (in my biased opinion), so I hope this doesn't really mess things up.